Friday, November 9, 2007

Bill Clinton Interview

David Letterman. Larry King. Oprah. Me?

With a little, okay, a lot of luck, those would be people this month to interview Bill Clinton. He has been making the press rounds in support of his new book, “Giving: How Each of Us Can Change the World,” and would be stopping on his book tour Sept. 7 at the Borders on Michigan Avenue.

The idea crept into my head, what if I tried to interview him at the book signing? It was a long shot at best. Having been to a number of book signings, I knew I’d be lucky to get eye contact, much less an interview. I figured the absolute worst that could happen is he would say ‘no,’ or Secret Service would pummel me. But what did I have to lose? Plus a beat-down from the Secret Service would make great story.

I woke up at 6 a.m. and got to Borders at 7 a.m.. About 1,000 wristbands would be distributed at 8 a.m. for the 90 minute signing. I was about 50th in line. I was in for sure.

The crowd was diverse, from elderly women with walkers, to parents carrying infants, to the Northwestern medical students behind me. People said there were there for a chance to see a president, or to get an autograph that would be worth money. Everyone was talking about the looming election, with many debating between Hillary and Obama. It’s inevitable that wherever Bill goes, it’s somewhat campaigning for Hillary.

Now I had to kill four hours, so I dove into the book. It was not the easiest read on a couple hours sleep while sitting on a sidewalk outside. By 8:30 a.m., I was in the building and found a spot on the ground of the third floor where I would wait for President Clinton.

The book profiled people who have dedicated their lives to giving, from Bill Gates and Warren Buffet to kids collecting pennies for Katrina victims. It was an inspiring read, although a little tedious. It could have used some horcruxes. I finished up the book a little after 10:30, giving me an hour to I fret over the exact words to say to him. I rehearsed my introduction and questions countless times, feeling like I was bound to mess up.

Outside a crowd formed to watch his arrival. Even the Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup mascot looked on (there’s no wrong way to watch a Presidential entrance). President Clinton entered at noon and the crowd broke into applause.

As the line slowly moved, I became tense and thought maybe it would be better if he wouldn’t talk to me. Before I knew it, I handed my book to Secret Service to get signed.

President Clinton extended his hand as I walked toward him. I shook it, and blurted out my well practiced intro. He gave an interested “Yeah?” so I asked him if he felt college students could really change the world. He started talking. And talking. And talking. At the end of each sentence I expected him to push me along and get on with the signing. But he kept all 950 people in line behind me waiting and talked to me.

“A lot of people felt like I failed to mention the role of government in this book, and I have a whole chapter on and how our problems can’t be solved without government,” President Clinton said. “I think whether you have bad government policy or if you have good government policy there are still things the government can’t solve quite. Because of the rise of the internet there are non-governmental organizations that are solving problems that America is running away from.

The capacity here is far greater now than say, a few years ago. In my lifetime, you’ll have more power as private people to do public good on the global scale and the local scale than ever before. That’s what I really believe. We’ve got over 800,000 people in over 71 countries now getting AIDS medicine that’s about as good as it gets in those countries. It’s because of the way we are organized. Its one thing about the Bush administration I really do like, it just shows you what you can do if you really get after it.”

He didn’t answer my question, but I was thrilled anyways. I tried a quick follow up about the student’s role in the election; he misunderstood and thought I asked about his role. “If I’m asked, I’ll do whatever I can,” he said.

I thanked him and as I walked away, I was mobbed by reporters (my quotes and photo would appear on the Tribune’s site within hours). After waiting an excruciating and never-wrecking five hours, I asked myself if it was really worth it.

You bet it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment