Wednesday, January 21, 2009

21/1/09 The Begining of the End

After a little more than three months off of school, I decided to make a comeback.

Today was my first day of classes. And frankly, I think I'm in pretty good shape.

After waking up way to early, it took about 20 minutes to get down to the Regent Street campus and I found the classes relatively easy. First up I had Creative Writing about London. For the class, we have to produce a 1,500 word short story, 1,500 word play, and 1,000 word journal. Now despite the fact that my blog entries frequently approach those numbers, I spent Christmas break writing a 50,000 word memoir. I could basically do the entire class tonight if I wanted to (and I've thought about getting the short story out of the way, I have it all set).

I'm by far the most experienced writer in the class and when my professor asked if anyone had been doing any writing once they got to London, I conveniently got to drop the fact that I was in The London Paper on Monday. I felt pretty awesome.

All class we basically did exercises, one which I read to the class where we had to write about something important to us without actually naming it. People guessed it was love, or family, or friends, but it was the internet. Pretty funny stuff.

Then we did two quick writings, which I ended up liking a lot more, one I called Dinosaurs in the Backyard, probably the coolest title I've ever had, and the other was about Christmas Eve. I'm going to breeze though this class.

I had over an hour to kill before my next class so I wandered Oxford Street a little before heading over to a Frank's Coffee Shop and getting an apricot pastry across the street. There are so many cafes and coffee shops right around there that I think I'll try to go to a different one every Wednesday.

The next class was Devising London, the Mrs. Barney class (although I'm not the 'candle guy' in this class). I was completely right. We started the day off by taking off our shoes and doing yoga before we did improv the rest of the day. We did a game where we interviewed another person in the class, and the professor particularly like my interviewing skills (I didn't tell her I was cheating) so she had me do it again. It was a fun class, kind of flew by. The best part was a sketch I made where I was John Roberts, another guy was Barack, and we consistently messed up the oat while we had Bush making comments in the background and Teddy Kennedy had seizures. I thought it was pretty hilarious, but I don't know how much the crowd got it. I met a lot of different people, and it's sort of an introduction to improv and acting, so it seems pretty cool. The end of the class we are going to perform a play for whoever wants to come. We'll see.

I've been pretty tired today, and my foot is still hurting off and on so I came back, read the paper, and ate with the hall. I ran over to Tesco to pickup some milk as well.

I wrote a story for The DePaulia about the Inauguration you can check out here.

1 comment: