Wednesday, January 14, 2009

LDN

So I think this will be my new place to post the happening about London that I happen upon, so check back regularly, I'm going to try to post daily.

Yesterday was rather uneventful. I went to meetings for a good part of the day and then bought food and pillows (along with jeans, a hand towel, and sweatpants for 16 pounds) at Primark’s. I did get to meet a number of people on my floor. Phil lives next door and is a pretty cool guy. I probably met about 6 people or so, all were very nice. My room is starting to feel like home a little bit. I put some maps up on my walls so it’s just not so stark-white. My internet is up and working and I found out about my classes (and how I can’t wait to drop postmodernism.) The rest of the classes seem pretty good though, a lot of going out in the city.

At the meetings they had pastries and I had four, and some water and tea, so that took care of one meal. The room was on the second floor, but they don’t start counting floors until they get to the usual second floor. Very confusing. I would be on the 11th floor in America. For dinner I had one of the Chicago-style pizzas I made in the microwave. It was kind of gross. I still don’t have any utensils, so I need to take care of that soon.

I got to Skype people and I applied for my student Oyster card. The internet is a great thing.

Today I ended up doing quite a bit. First off, my right foot really hurts, in the back right side, in front of the heel. Not really sure what that is all about, probably because of all the walking I’ve been doing. Bu

t today I did more walking then I’ve ever done.

I took the tube down to Tower Hill and as soon as you leave, you see a Roman Wall that was used for defense when the city was founded over 1,000 years ago.

Then I saw the Tower of London. I’ve always wanted to go there, I remember learning about it in 6th grade and how cool I thought it was. It is impressive in person.

I’ll be going there on Sunday (with the group so it’s free) and that’s what I’ve been most looking forward to.

Right across from the Tower is the Tower Bridge (naturally.) It’s the really famous bridge that people think is the London Bridge.

I paid 4.50 pounds to go up into the top of the towers along the elevated walkways. It was kind of cool, I felt like I had to do it.

I went to the engine rooms and then finished walking across the bridge until I came to the lame London Bridge. It’s just a boring bridge.

From there I walked past St. Paul’s but I didn’t go in because I wanted to get a guided tour of Westminster Abbey, and the last of the day was at 2:30. So I hustled over there.

The Abbey is incredible. It’s just filled with tombs of legendary people. Kings, Queens, Newton, Dickens, Darwin, Chauncer, nearly every space has some tomb or another. Unfortunately I couldn’t take pictures in there. Edward the Confessors tomb in the middle was very interesting, as well as the Coronation Chair. But maybe what I liked the most was going into the old Roman rooms that predated the church. I thought about sticking around for a choir performance, but I wanted to get to dinner with the group (free food) at Brown’s.

As I was leaving the area, I walked past Parliament again and I asked about tours and getting inside. Well they said I could for free attend a House of Commons session. Which was going on right now. So I jumped at it.

After going through airport security, I entered Westminster Hall, dating from the 11th century I believe. It’s one of the most historical places in the city and the only remaining part of the old Parliament building. After about 15 minutes, I was in watching the House of Commons upstairs behind glass. There were maybe 10 members of Parliament, and one guy talked the entire time about who knows what. At one point he made a jab at the other party and people laughed. There was a guy in the center wearing one of those old white wigs. I stayed for about 20 minutes but I decided I had enough, and Westminster Hall was much more interesting anyways.

I hung around there for a little before heading back to my room. I looked up the directions and headed over to Brown’s. Unfortunately, I got off a stop late and got on the wrong line (these tubes are basically idiot-proof) and then when I actually got to my stop, I couldn’t find the place. By the time I did, everyone was gone.

Frustrated and thirsty (it was about 50 degrees today) I stopped in Starbucks and got a Strawberry and Crème frappacino because they don’t have Green Tea. It was priced about the same as in the states. I liked it, but I think I’ll try another one next time just for fun.

I walked around Leicester Square for a little (where they have all their theaters) and then came back and did some research on going to Athens. I think I’m going to do it. I have everything all mapped out, I just don’t know what else I’d do there besides the acropolis. We’ll see.

I made another pizza in the microwave because I can’t get the oven to work, drank two yogurts, and some milk from the container. That’ll probably be my goal for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment