Sunday, January 25, 2009

25/1/09

Today I started my day off by going down to Primrose Hill for my Devising London class. When I left, it looked like it might rain. But it always looks like it might rain here, so I wasn't too concerned. I didn't bring umbrella however.

So I get off the tube at the Camden Town stop, it's raining some, but I figure it'll stop soon, it usually does here. Well it didn't. It just got harder here in fact. I was completely drenched.

I went down by Camden Locks, which is a nice area with a canal that goes through Regent's Park. I followed the canal down and through an underpass where a guy was playing an accordian. He was really good, more in the French or Italian style. I felt very cinematic.

The rain kept coming and finally I reached the park. Ducks were swimming across the sidewalks. But I was pretty close so I kept going. The hill isn't that big, but it's a decent incline. Finally, drenched and unhappy, I reached the top of the hill, looking like the Joker.

With the rain and clouds, they views weren't exactly great. I felt more like I was in some sort of war, like I was going up Bunker Hill in the rain than going to look at the great scenery.

For the class we were supposed to go to the top of the hill and write down our impressions. Mine are not going to be that upbeat.

I walked back, only to have the Camden Town station closed, so I went to the next closest station about 10 minutes away. From there I went down to Leicester Square for the tea at Brown's, the place I couldn't find for the orientation. I struggled to find it again, but eventually did. It's really not that hard to find.

The tea wasn't as fancy as I was expecting. We had the coasters and all that, but it was just normal tea. I had some fruity tea and then some brown stuff that was pretty good. It was good tea, but I expected something a little more? They also had scones, which were great. You put cream and jam on them, and there's a specific way you are supposed to. I don't think I did it right.

A couple of the people wanted to go to an art store around the corner, so I went with them. I ended up getting some canvasses, paint, and a brush for pretty cheap. Maybe it'll spice up my room a little more.

I took a picture of the Baker Street stop (my new Harrison stop) because it's the first underground station ever. Pretty cool to think about, it opened Civil War era I believe.

I'm leaving for Scotland tonight and I don't know when I'm going to have internet access again. I'm excited for the trip, although I don't really feel prepared since it all came together so quickly. I've always sorta wanted to go to Scotland, it just seemed so far away. And I've definitely wanted to go to a castle, so I figure that's what I'll do first thing there tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment