Monday, January 12, 2009

Day 1

At the airport, it took me about 10 minutes to get to my gate. I would have been there quicker if the guy in front of me wasn’t an airport rookie.

After the plane finally took off about two hours late, I spent most of my time watching movies. First I saw Vicky Christina Barcelona, a Woody Allen movie that wasn’t that bad. It wasn’t exactly funny, but it was alright. It made me want to go to Spain and Barcelona a lot and made me get excited to go traveling on the weekends.

I had a pretty good pasta with some sort of cream sauce and then I watched an episode of “Flight of the Concords” and “Curb Your Enthusiasm,” both good. I spent some time writing and just like last time when I thought I was pretty close to getting to sleep they turned the lights on for breakfast.

I had to wait in a pretty huge line for customs, but it wasn’t much of a hassle. My bags came up right away as well an I headed to the Undergroud. I bought a ticket and the guy let me through the handicapped gate because I was carrying so much stuff. I didn’t swipe my card. Arriving at Baker Street, the same thing happened.

The area around my place is pretty nice, lot of old brick houses, cafes, and shops.

It seems like there is more going on there than I thought. My room is 10C, it’s pretty tiny, maybe half the size of Paul’s room, but it had a bathroom, which is just a shower with a curtain, a toilet, and a sink all within about a four-foot space, but it’s way better than going down the hall.

I don’t think my window closes all the way, which makes it pretty cold in here, so I might have to get that taken care of. I was also curious if I should have just brought a power strip and one adapter for it. I guess we could still do that maybe.

I left early for my meeting and got to see the area a bit. I walked up to Regent’s Park and there were many people out running and familes out for walks. It felt very New Yorky. The meeting was more or less a waste of time, but we got to go on an awesome walking tour of Westminster, looking at Big Ben, Parliament, Westmister Abbey, Trafalgar Square, and a couple spots where people were beheaded.

I answered two of the guides questions right, being who was the last person to lie in state in Westminster Abbey (the Queen Mother) and who is the prime minister (Gordon Brown.) It was sort of surreal seeing Big Ben in person, the building is even more ornate than it seems in “Peter Pan.”

Then I walked down the Thames River (and saw Cleopatra’s Needle dad) because the weather was so nice. I took the tube back to Baker Street (it is so easy to use, letting people know what is going on is a great idea) and then walked around looking for a place to eat. I found a Barclay’s and Starbucks around the corner on Baker Street, right by the Beatles London Store (I think their Apple store was right around there, I have to figure out where). Walking around the city is incredibly difficult, at least as far as crossing traffic goes. Many streets are one ways but split in the middle where you can’t just walk right across. Nearly every crosswalk is labeled ‘look left’ or ‘look right.’

I went down the Oxford Street and found two more H&Ms, although I didn’t go in any. It was pretty busy on Oxford, especially for a Sunday night. I figured it had to have more people on it than Michigan Avenue. I went down by Oxford Circus and decided to head back.

I went to Pizza Express because the only other place open was Pizza Hut. Pizza Express is a sit-down place, but a quick one. I got raspberry tea with my margehrita pizza and got ice cream topped with brownie and hot fudge for desert. I was falling asleep during the meal, so I asked for the check (they just don’t give it to you there) and it actually worked, so that was good.


I’m fallins asleep righting about it rea

^that was the last thing I wrote before I actually fell asleep, thought it was kind of funny.

I just got the internet to work and my class schedule up, so two big things taken care of. I just have a really short Ethernet cord, so I could use a longer one/the router. Now I need to still find pillows. I’m going to try Harrod’s, the big department store.

No comments:

Post a Comment