Saturday, January 31, 2009

31/1/09

I got up and went to Brixton to go to Poundland (British equivalent of a dollar store) for my Devising London class. We had to buy something there to use as a prop in class. I was excited because there were a couple other things I wanted to grab at a store like that, so it gave me an excuse to go. And an excuse to go to Brixton which is like the Harlem of London. It was much nicer than I expected, although I didn't really go that far.

Anyways, I bought scissors, batteries, a shower radio, three boxes of Ritz crackers, 20 hangers, and for class a spinning 'party light.' It's so lame. I'm excited.


For class we also had to go to Harrod's and buy something for a pound as well. Harrods is like the Marshall Field's in Chicago, only if a king lived in it. It is seriously like a museum. Everything is also incredibly expensive. The only things I could find under a pound were marbles and a dinosaur toy. Even a Zac Efron bookmark was £1.50. Naturally I picked the dinosaur.

I took the tube back and bought some gorceries so I'd have things to eat here. I got two frozen pizzas which are really good (and cheap).

Forty years ago today, the Beatles played their last concert ever, which was the rooftop concert. Turns out, the place they did is just off Regent Street, not more than a 20 minute walk from where I live. It looked almost exactly liked it did back in the day. I was really excited to go see it. I talked to a couple that came up from Mexico to see it, they were a little disappointed. I hear that police wouldn't let any sort of reenaction go on, but two impersonators got up there and played "One After 909." In all, it was one of the coolest things I've done here, mostly because of the connection with history and the Beatles and all, but even more so because it's something I could only do in London and couldn't have done had I not been here.


They had a studio in the basement (it was the Apple offices) and I walked down the stairs and looked in. Not much going on, I think the building is empty now in fact. But it looks exactly how it does in the film, which is exciting.


Then I went to Primark's and came close to buying a couple things, and then didn't. I'm going to buy a lighter weight coat (with Athens in mind, I'm not sure how to dress) and I couldn't decide if I really wanted it or not. I also want a messenger bag, they don't really do backpacks here. The one at Primark's is cheap but not really what I want. So I don't know what I'll do about that. Thoughts?

I stopped and got a Starbucks before heading back home. I stopped at 94 Baker Street, the old Apple store that the Beatles painted back in the day. It is literally right around the corner from where I live, I've walked passed it many times. I also never noticed that above the windows on the first floor, there is a plaque saying that John Lennon lived there. That's so cool.

I went down to Old Street to Cocomos with the Americans. It was fun, although loud. They basically teased me about not going to Wales with everyone this weekend and going to Athens instead. Oh well, I can't name one thing about Wales so it's not like I'll miss out on it.

I think I'll end the day with one of the coolest videos ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment