Saturday, January 24, 2009

24/1/09

I didn't do too many exciting things today, but at the same time it was pretty enjoyable. Lots of pictures in this one.

I got up around noon today and headed down to Borough Market off the London Bridge stop. It's a massive food market with all sorts of different foods from around the world. It was absolutely packed. Think like Taste of Chicago but with more variety and it happens every weekend.

They had all sort of things. Ostrich meat, cakes, dead headless animals hanging on walls, just about anything you could think of. I stayed away from the ostriches and animal carcasses and had a chocolate croissant, which was pretty good.

From there I went down the road a little to the Tate Modern. It's a huge, ugly building. There were a number of Picassos, Miros, and my favorite, Jackson Pollacks. It was one of the more interesting museums here so far, a lot better than the Tate Britain. But with modern art, there's just so much that I think isn't appealing, so it sort of brought it down.

For every good piece of art there was a something crazy, like a piece of cloth pinned to a board or a bunch of soap stringed together.

After that I walked across the Thames on the Millennium Bridge, which is a lot cooler than the London Bridge, which ends in front of St. Paul's. It was such a nice day outside that I just decided to walk back along the Thames, which was the longest walk I've had here so far, but because it was so nice out it was really enjoyable. As I was walking, I came across Baker & McKenzie's office. Kinda crazy.

As I was walking under one of the bridges I saw a group of kids listening to Raekwon doing urban jumping. Basically they would jump from one level to another, doing tricks. It was hilarious/awesome. I also went by Cleopatra's Needle, the London Eye, and then past Parliament, stopped by and watched a changing of the guard for a little, but it was really boring so I left.


Then to Trafalgar Square, then Leicester Square. At Leicester Barclays was having a little festival kinda thing where I got some hot chocolate and blue 'candyfloss.'

From there I just walked back along my usual route down Regent and Oxford Street. Before heading back to my building.

Tonight is the fantasy draft lottery that I'll be attending via webcam. I've never had a pick in the top 5 I think, so I'm hoping to break the trend tonight. I feel like if there is a good year to win the first pick, this would be it. I'll have the results and my early draft thoughts later.

Well we did the draft order, and I'm right in the middle. Again. I hate that spot. Six isn't that awful, but not exactly what I wanted. The order is:
1. Bob
2 Stein
3. Jimbo
4. Guy Across the Hall
5. Fras
6. Me
7. Sam
8. Bill
9. Chone
10. Gorman
11. Paul
12. Lugy/Luke

Here's how I think it will go until my pick.

1. Arod
2. Miggy
3. Grady
4. Teixiera
5. Hamilton
6. I think I'll go with either Justin Morneau or Evan Longoria, not awful. Probably Morneau has the edge by playing first, which is pretty weak. I don't think I've ever drafted the guy I thought I would though.

1 comment:

  1. Hey,

    One of my old roommates is still in Prague, let me know what weekend you plan on going and I will see if she can show you around or give you a place to stay. How did Bob get the first pick? He definitely rigs it somehow...

    ReplyDelete