Friday, April 3, 2009

2/4/09

I slept in for a while and then went to Sainsbury's to get food, since it looks like I'll actually be around here this week. I bought a ton of stuff, the most interesting being Linda McCartney vegetarian British pies. I love the pies here, I'm really curious to see what they'll be like.

I came back and had a big lunch and then went over to the post office, which was painless surprisingly, and then across the street to Starbucks to start in on my Picasso/Girl Talk paper (I wore my Swedish shoes all day without a problem). I got a good start to it before I realized that I needed to get Picasso quotes and have the actual paintings in front of me or it wouldn't go so well. So I went and returned my Lisbon book and met Heidi down at the National Gallery and I bought the Picasso book on the exhibit (I'm planning on returning it tomorrow).

The idea was we would walk around the museum, but it was way too nice out and I just didn't have the patience for it. We went by the big Leonardo cartoon and then left. There's a ton of really good stuff there, I need to spend some quality time there. I'm thinking I might go tomorrow for a 7 pm guided tour.

Instead we decided to walk from St. James Park to Green Park (they had a lame Canada memorial) to Buckingham Palace (still not that impressive during the day) to Hyde Park. I hadn't been to any of them and they were pretty nice. Not nearly as cool as Central Park by any stretch, much more flat and plain.

Hyde Park was the best, with the Serpentine cutting through it. We sat in lawn chairs for a little (very comfortable) until a guy came around wanting to get £1.50 each from us for the chairs. We passed. Bummer, I was thinking it was a super cool thing they had going on.

We walked across the river to get to the Princess Diana memorial, which is a man-made stream, sorta lame. It also looks a lot bigger in pictures. Then again, they did hate her.

Next we went around the bend to the Peter Pan statue put there by JM Barrie, the author of Peter Pan, in the middle of the night as a surprise, which is pretty awesome. The statue was cool (I feel like it was in 'Hook') although a little weird looking.

We walked back on the equivalent of Central Park West to Oxford Street. I forgot to go to Speaker's Corner, but since it's way closer than I thouht it was to me, I can easily get back there.

I came back and stopped at Tesco for milk and bagels, also getting another installment of the Scott Tries British Candy series in, this time a Double Decker. It was the most unique candy I've tried here so far, with half of it nougat on top, and the bottom crunchy stuff. It wasn't that great, although I give it points for originality.

Next started getting quotes out of my Picasso book. I spent basically the rest of the night putting together the paper, and didn't quite finish. The Bears made a big move, aquiring Jay Cutler (my fantasy football quarterback) which also gives me a column to write (I was going to write about how Opening Day is overrated and the second game of the year is better, I still might do it and just send in both).

I ran into Phil in the hall and he said he was leaving for home tomorrow, switching to an art school in Brighton, which is too bad because he's a cool guy and I hadn't seen much of him lately. Oh well, he was like my one British friend. Maybe everyone will do something with him tomorrow.

I also bid for and won a Babe Ruth capsile of sawdust collected from the bat that Highland Mint cut up. It was cheap ($20, they usualy go for a lot more) and I thought would be a cool thing to have.

Tomorrow my main goal is to finish up my paper and get done with school so I don't have to worry about that. I also want to write my column and get that squared away.

No comments:

Post a Comment