Monday, February 23, 2009

23/2/09

Today I went with CEA to Pancake Day at My Old Dutch restaurant. I had some trouble finding the place and ordered after everyone, but it was still good. I ordered the berries and ice cream one. It was basically like a crepe. The pancake itself was more buttery and sweet than usual. I loved it.

I passed a Sainbury's on the way to the restaurant so I picked up the groceries I didn't get yesterday there. I grabbed a couple more pizzas for a pound each, clementines, hamburger buns, cheese, crackers, macaroni and cheese, and manicotti, so I'm set for a while.

I came back and did my laundry, which took a lot longer than I anticipated. Apparently most people use non-liquid soap, but I bought the liquid kind. My soap is also scented like sunshine, so that's a nice touch. And I definitely needed to wash my clothes, I was out of socks for about the last week. Not good. Speaking of feet issues, I popped my blister and it feels way better.

I went to Waterloo Station for class, we were supposed to observe people at rush hour. I was slightly after rush hour, but I figured it wasn't that big of a deal. There were a bunch of people rushing about, sort of what you'd expect there. The best was one lady with a suitcase that pointed at all of us waiting in line to get on the escalator telling her friend, "That used to be me."

I went to the Royal National Theater and tried to get a ticket for Every Good Boy Deserves Favour, but it was sold out. So I sat around for about a half hour and hoped that they'd have some returns. They did, and I got in for £10 in the upper deck, solid seats and great for the price. The play was based in a Russian mental institution with two guys, one who thinks he has an orchestra following him around (the orchestra was onstage the entire play and it worked really well) and another who is in there because he believes that the Russians send sane people to mental institutions and he goes on hunger strike. It was really well done I thought, I'm usually a sucker for the whole standing-up-to-the-government deal in supressed nations. This was probably the best play I'd seen so far here.

I went back to Waterloo Station because I was supposed to find something random there to bring into class (and it couldn't just be like a newspaper). Unfortunately, all that was on the ground was newspaper, so I didn't take anything. It was a lot less crowded this time.

It was another incredibly nice and clear night out so I walked along the Thames and up through Westminster on my usual route. Somestimes I need to go by Big Ben and whatnot to remind me I'm actually in London.

I contacted Luke's friend Anj, who I'm going to stay with in Prague and she gave me directions to her place. I'm really excited that I'll have someone to know there and not have to stay in another hostel. I need to start reading about Prague, Luke gave me his Eyewitness Travel book so I should get on that.

I booked another play ticket for tomorrow and I'm considering going to Windsor Castle during the day, I'm not entirely sure. That's probably a stretch and I might just want to sleep in a little tomorrow, so maybe I'll do it on Friday or Saturday. There are some museums I wanted to get to anyways so there's no rush really.

No comments:

Post a Comment