Sunday, March 22, 2009

21/3/09 Stockholm

I slept on and off throughout the day at the airport. I guards woke me up around 5 and I got up and had some water. I went online for a little and then moved over by the window and crashed for a while. I actually got some relatively decent sleep in. The airport was surprisingly comfy.

Around 9:30 I caught the bus into town and decided to try to walk from the station to the hostel. It was a great walk through old town to the hostel. The city is gorgeous, especially by the different islands. The streets are narrow, many cobblestone, and bright colored, a lot like Prague or Munich. But by the water the town was very distinct.

The hostel was on a basically uninhibited island that was used for prisoners (sort of like a prettier Alcatraz). The hostel wasn’t as much of a hostel as it was a solid hotel, nicer than anything I’ve stayed in yet. There is a flat screen TV in the room, free internet, and nice little things like a bath towel, closet space, and soap. I went online and caught up a little before taking a shower, which was great.

I booked tickets to the last Dylan show in Dublin and left to go wander the town until Amy got here. The sun came out and the temperature was decent. It was even more picturesque than before.

I decided to go into one of the many H&Ms here (it’s Swedish). They have some really cool shoes for a solid price that I think I’m going to get tomorrow, maybe a t-shirt or two as well.

I went into an old church, which was sort of like all the other churches I’d been to. I also tried to go to a church with a Descartes memorial (he was buried there for a while until they moved him to Paris). They also have the grave of the Prime Minister that was murdered on the street in 1986.

Soon after Amy arrived. We took our time walking back to the hostel, stopping to look at some things on the way. She was impressed with the city too.

I mentioned that I hadn’t seen any Swedish fish (something that I would ask someone who went to Sweden if they ate any or not) so we went into a candy store and found some. They were a lot more chewy than in America, but still good. More like Gummy bears though, I think I like the American version more.

We hung out in the room for a little, she settled in and I tried to figure out where to eat. We picked a place because she wanted to eat Swedish meatballs. So off we went, but it was a little hard to figure out in the dark so we just happened upon another place that had the meatballs (these next couple outdoors pictures are some of the best I've ever taken in my life).

I had garlic bread, a vegetables dish thing, and some potatoes. It was surprisingly good.

We walked back to the hostel, got some chocolate, watched some Swedish TV and went to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment