Saturday, March 7, 2009

7/3/09 Amsterdam

We got up around 9:30 and had breakfast upstairs. It was good, bread, toast, cereal, orange juice and nutella and butter, basically all I eat, and it was free.

Then we had the shower procession, I went last and because it was so nice outside, I went and sat up on the deck and wrote my column.

We then went to try to meet up with the rest of the group, but after walking for a while (it was gorgeous) we came across Vondelpark, and since the weather was so nice, we just decided to go into there instead of going to museum (which came to be known as the Rickshaw Museum, it was spelled something like the Rijkmuseum). We wandered for a little and then went to the Film Museum’s café and took our hot chocolates outside and sat in the courtyard. There were a lot of people out there and it felt very European.


We stayed for quiet a while, people watching and avoiding pigeons who seemed to be coming right for us. This led to discussions about whether if you had food in your mouth, you could get a pigeon to land in it. I thought yes.

We stopped by the I Amsterdam sign and took some pictures. The first one on the sign is Heidi, me and Brett. In the second one, Kim is in front.

We then walked back by the train station and went on the 4 pm canal tour. The boat was packed, and we magically bumped into the other half of the group so we all took the tour together. We sat in the back where it was outside (although it was covered, but the walls were open so we could lean out. After going way out to nowhere, we came into the city along the canals. With the sun, it was well worth it. Tim was standing and couldn’t see anything so I offered to switch with him. Then I decided to try to squeeze into the little corner of the boat (because I couldn’t see anything) and basically sat on the ledge of the boat. It was a great view.

We wandered for a little, trying to find somewhere to eat. We came across an Italian place where we all sat at a big table upstairs. I had a pizza, which was tremendous. I’ve been surprised with the quality of the pizza in Europe, it’s different than in the States. On the blurry picture of us eating from the left around is Dan, Michael, Lauren, Heidi, Brett, Him, then you can't see Gina or Tim.

We tried to go to the Anne Frank House but it just closed, so we decided to wander the Red Light District. The ladies in the windows were much better looking than the night before and we had a good time. It was a fun experience, not feeling really seedy or anything. The group made it fun, although it was still an eye-opener.

We all headed over to a pastry shop and I had some Apple Pie, since I figured I should have had some Dutch Apple Pie. It was much better than the apple pie I’ve had in London.

We made our way over to Café Alto, a jazz club (yes, we came from Chicago to go to a Jazz club in The Netherlands). The club was really great (probably because most of the musicians were American). We stayed until about 12:30 before going back. I was liking the jazz, I feel like that’s something I could get into back home, but I don’t anticipate going to anymore in Europe.
We headed back to the boat and slept well.



No comments:

Post a Comment