Friday, March 6, 2009

5/3/09

We went to the Tate Britain. Again. This was my third time at least going and I've never really loved any of the times I've been there, so I wasn't all that excited about going. We focused on landscape paintings today, which are sorta boring. Except for Turner paintings, particularly at the end of his career when he drifted off into impressionist paintings where people don't know if they were really finished or not.

I came back and got a new SIM card, transferred my old number, and exchanged for Euros. Then I walked to class. We had a theater critic for Time Out in, which was cool. Then we talked about plays, including one I didn't see, so I wrote the outlines for my next two columns.

I went immediately from class to Scalas for the Peter Bjorn and John show. I got there at about 5:10, which was way too early. I sat around outside in the cold for a while until I decided to go across the street to Royal Pizza for a pizza. It was really good. No one came while I was there. By about 6 a couple came and waited. It would be about a half hour before anyone else came.

I called Amy and we are going to go to Stockholm in a few weeks. She wants me to go to the Amazon this summer too, which would be pretty awesome, we'll see.

When they let us in at 7:30, I went right to the front of the stage. Everyone else went to stand against a rail on a level up. Weird. Eventually it filled in.

At 8:30 First Aid Kit took the stage. They're a female Swedish folk duo, who were pretty awesome. I'm going to try to download their stuff if I can.

PBJ came on at 9:30. They played almost all songs from their album which is coming out at the end of the month. I liked a lot of them, and they're a really awesome live band. Peter was crazy the whole night, running around stage and dancing. It was an awesome performance. I was so close I worried about him hitting me with his guitar in the face multiple times. At one point he tossed up a shaker into the air, meaning to catch it, but threw it a little too far. I caught it and handed it back to him. It was really slick. He kinda pointed at me after, I was pumped.


They closed with probably my four favorite songs of their, including "Young Folks" and finished with my favorite song, "Up Against the Wall." It was great, one of the best concerts I've been to. They let you take video and pictures the entire show. I feel like that's normal around here, it's just so much more laid back.

After the show I got a set list, a pick, and a drumstick. It was great. I can't believe I've actually interviewed Peter, he seemed like such a major rock star tonight. PBJ are really on the cusp of blowing up I think, I'll probably never see them in such a small venue (about 1,000 people).

I came back, showered, and got ready to leave. Heidi and Kim came over to hang out to wait for the buses but they couldn't get in because I needed to get a guest pass for people coming over after 11. That's really dumb. But it's ok I guess. We decided we were just gonig to go hang out at the airport. They're pretty fun places, and we have cards, so it will prbobably be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment