Saturday, March 28, 2009

28/3/09 Fantasy Draft Day

I got slept in again, which was nice. I was still tired when I woke up, but I didn't want to sleep much more.

I spend a couple hours on my draft prep and sort of figured out what I was going to do. This year I went more according to plan than usual. My goal was to pass on pitching for the most part, focusing on hitting early, as well as a balance of power and speed.

I went to the post office to drop something off but it was closed. So I went to Carphone Warehouse to try to top-up my phone. The system was down, so I had to come back later. Instead I went to Tesco and bought a pizza, some cake, ice cream, and for the next installment in my Scott Tries British Candy Series, I had got a Galaxy bar (which just ended up being a pretty typical chocolate bar).

I went back and got some Lisbon stuff together. I'm really exited about this trip, a nice, warm, sunny city on the ocean really appeals to me right now. It sounds like I have a pretty great hostel too.

I went down to Carphone Warehouse again and put some money on my phone and then hustled back to get back in time for the draft. I threw my pizza in the oven and put on my suit. After finishing in 4th last year, this year was business time.

When I joined the first couple picks were made. I had the 8 pick because Jim was in, and I took BJ Upton with the pick. Not my favorite pick ever, but he could go 20-40. My second pick was Justin Morneau, who I was really hoping to get. I took Vlad Guerrero next, someone I really was targeting, I'm glad I got him in the third. Here's how my whole draft went, some some comments:

1. BJ Upton - hopefully he has the power he showed in the playoffs, he starts on the DL
2. Justin Morneau - consistent at a weak position
3. Vlad Guerrero - aging but good for .310 25 homer
4. Bobby Abreu - probably 20-20
5. Aubrey Huff - maybe a stretch, but .280 30 homers with 1b and 3b elgibility
6. James Shields - consistent and good, the ace last year for me and this year
7. Johnny Damon - not many 20-20 threats, and I have two
8. Brian Fuentes - going to be the closer all year, should get 30-40 saves
9. Mark DeRosa - awesome year last year, could do .270 20 this year at 2b, 3b, OF
10. Orlando Cabrera - good for a .270 10 homer 20 steal year, always wanted him
11. Jorge Posada - my worst pick, but should be a good player still
12. Jim Thome - maybe my best pick, should hit 30 homers, even if I don't have a spot for him
13. Mark Buehrle - always good
14. Galvin Floyd - had a sub-4 ERA and good K numbers
15. Andy Pettitte - good for 13 wins, decent other stats, solid 4 starter to start the year, targeted him
16. Chris Ray - if doesn't start as closer, might be soon
17. John Smoltz - hurt, but on schedule for May return, would be an ace if healthy
18. Kelvim Escobar - one of my favorites, hurt but back after April, also an ace if healthy
19. Travis Snider - could be ROY this year, should hit 20 homers
20. Miguel Batista - might be leading the M's closer competition right now

I have a lot of offense that is well-balanced. I love that I have someone like Thome on the bench that I can either trade or slide in with injuries (I'll have some with my outfield). I feel I don't have any weaknesses on offense. My pitching is weaker, but I'm very good at picking up pitchers. Between Ray and Batista, I should have a closer. Escobar and Smoltz are the wildcards, if healthy I might have the best rotation, but I can't imagine I'd have both at the same time.

I tried to avoid pitching, and I still ended up with a decent staff. I should be middle of the pack or better. Offensively, I'm happy with what I have. I don't have a ton of power, but every place is capable of hitting at least 15 homers. This is the most balanced offensive I've ever had. I don't have any average killers (other than Thome, but he has big power) so I'm in good shape. I'm happy with how it went and I know that I'll make a lot of chages as the year goes on, it's just how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment