Thursday, March 26, 2009

25/3/09

My column ran today, not so many edits as in the past. I was worried this was a little bit too much like my Super Bowl column but it was fine I think. I liked referencing how I was talking to Ryan and rooting against his picks, that's basically how I got the idea for the column.

Writing class was alright, we just had the class perform the scenes that we wrote. Mine didn't go over quite how I expected, but the professor seemed to really like it. So many of the other people's were super boring, at least I don't think mine was.

We got out early so I hung out a little and then went to rehearsal for the performance that night for my Devising London class. Our rehearsal was a little shaky, as they all have been, but after going through it twice it seemed a lot more cohesive. We were still cutting and adding things right up until the last minute.

We got done at 5 and Wayne and I went over to Starbucks for dinner. Naturally, this is the first time they caught onto my card trick and said it had no balance. Oh well, it was good while it lasted, I'm thinking about trying at other places as well. I also don't know if it's the employee or the computer that causes me to get free stuff. We'll see.

Wayne and I hung out in the basement of Starbucks for about an hour and a half and then made our way back over to the hall for the performance around 6:40.

Anne and I started off the play by going out into the hall where we kept the audience and she asked them strange questions and wrote them down while I took a measuring tape and measuring random bodies parts and assigned the people to a side of the hall. Our performance was based loosely around heaven and hell and I was sort of the judgment dude, as I played later in one of the sketches by determining where people went based not on their lives but on how say, they're ear measured. It was definitely not my favorite thing, especially for the unsuspecting audience in the hall, but it was alright.

I was in the Harrod's skit, where after I made him take off his hat and tuck-in his necklace, I tried to sell Wayne Henry VII's plate, Gucci's sunglasses, and the original q-tip. It went over well.

Next I was sort of the leader in the bomb-on-the-train skit, when I stomped my foot, the train stopped and everyone would jerk forward. I didn't actually say anything in this one.

After that I was in the skit where me and two others were in heaven and wanted to write a letter to God to get us out of it because it wasn't that great.

My judgment skit was next, where I measured people, not that great.

Then we had the good day skit, where I played a couple different people, followed by the skit where Wayne and I tried to sell Jack a different SIM card for his cell phone, which was us improving and trying not to crack up for about 5 minutes. This was probably my favorite thing we did.

We had the bad day skit, where I ran in slow motion to catch the Tube (Jack didn't make it on) and then at the end I had a huge card swiping scene where I was trying to get into my building (we have to swipe our cards something like five times to get into my room). I really liked this one too.

I didn't have much of a role in my favorite skit of Wayne being tied up in a basement and calling Jack for help, and in the final skit I had a small role as a guy that got married. At the end of it I had to set the timer and everyone left the stage unil the timer went off and we all came back in to take a bow. We'd never practiced this before and it went amazingly well, I was nervous it wouldn't go off and we would just sit outside forever.

We never performed anything this smoothly or efficiently. It was a surprisingly good show. I was happy with everyone and how mine roles turned out.

After it was over, the professor came up to me and asked if I had ever done anything like this, saying I was very good at it. It meant a lot to me.

Everyone wanted to go out to a pub so we went down to George's. It was packed so we sort of had to split up, but Wayne, Anne, and Lauren came with me (and Heidi and Kim who watched the show) and we hung out there. We got into a big debate about what December's birthstone was, me thinking for sure it was Saphire. I even called ma because I was so sure of it. Turns out I was wrong.

We had these little candies there and we started talking about how it was strange it came in a jar, which made me think of estimation jars in kindergarten. Heidi was spinning my phone (it spins really well) so I made everyone fill in make an estimation for how many times it spun and put it in the estimation jar. By this time, a good number of people had joined us. The idea was we would film it and slow it down, which didn't worked (I guessed 28, probably not enough. The best guess was from Kim who wrote 'Scott Loses' on the paper I gave her). So we decided to have a rock, paper, scissors, tournament. I lost both times I was up. It was still a lot of fun.

I went back and stayed up until 2:30 working on my presentation, I made a lot of progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment